Trenton Catholic Academy has established the McCorristin Chapter of the National Honor Society. Membership in this prestigious organization “is an honor bestowed upon a student” who exhibits outstanding scholarship, character, leadership, and service. Students who meet the specific criteria suggested by the National Office are invited to become members. Students may not apply for membership. Membership is granted only to those students selected by the Faculty Council who base their selection on the following:
- Membership is open to sophomores and juniors
- The minimum cumulative grade point average is 90%
- The academic requirement set by the National Council is based on a student’s cumulative grade point average with a specific prerequisite number of academic courses: Being enrolled in a minimum of two honors courses and four Level 1 courses for each year in 10th and 11th grades
- Vo –Tech students must be enrolled in one academic course at Honors level and must maintain an “A” average in the Vo-Tech program
- Students who meet the academic requirements are notified and must complete a Student Activity Information Profile
- The faculty members submit recommendations for each student rating each candidate on character, leadership and service
- A Faculty Council consisting of five teachers with voting privileges and the Chapter advisor, a non-voting member, review all information about each candidate and votes on each.Candidates receiving a majority vote of the Faculty Council may be invited to become members of the Chapter.
Students who hope to be nominated for membership are strongly encouraged to actively demonstrate their leadership skills, give numerous examples of service and always show good, positive character, both in the classroom and outside the classroom in the school community. Although the academic criteria are important and are considered first, candidates are also evaluated on their performance in the areas of leadership, service and character. Students who accept the invitation to become members must maintain the qualities of scholarship, service, leadership and character by which they were selected.
The McCorristin Chapter specifically requires its members to:
- Maintain the minimum cumulative grade point average of 90% or above for each marking period of membership
- Complete 60 hours of service to the school, community or church for each year of membership
- Pay $10.00 dues for each year of membership.
A member who does not maintain these requirements is subject to probation or dismissal from the National Honor Society. Members in good standing are eligible to apply for a National Honor Society Scholarship during the senior year, receive special recognition at graduation, and may attend any National Honor Society functions.
ANY QUALIFIED STUDENT MAY BE ADMITTED TO THE NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY. NO ONE WILL BE EXCLUDED ON THE BASIS OF RACE, SEX, RELIGION OR NATIONAL ORIGIN